11.25.2005

Overrated Things

Installment #5

13. Über-Anything. Seriously,
über-this and über-that: I'm tired of it. I've been tired of it for quite some time, now. I realize the word became cool a long time ago, and has since been thoroughly abused into a less-cool state. I realize also that I have already listed clever lingo as overrated, but I feel this particular offender required special attention.

Also, I've got an idea for how to make yourself and/or whatever product/project you're pushing seem good enough to be labelled "above" other similar items/ideas: ACTUALLY BE THAT COOL. Describing yourself/your product/project in cool ways in no way makes you/it cooler.

Note: whatever you are/it is may truly be that cool, but adding the word über certainly didn't help the cause any.

14. Pointing Out the Corruption/Idiocy of Politicians. Again, seriously, we all know they're crooks, and we know that all-too-often they're un(der)qualified, even flat-out stupid. What I would really like is a way to get rid of the aforementioned politicians and replace them with people who are in some way still connected to the real world. And pay them less. Much, much less.

Note: I realize our government is (in part) staffed by a
system which professes the possibility to do (ideally) what I have just requested be done, but can we all agree there is something very wrong with the way the system is being handled and, further, that the system itself is not quite well enough to heal itself? And no, I am not necessarily proposing some sort of radical overthrow, toward the end of instituting some new form of government. I'm just saying something's gotta give. We need a shift toward sanity, am I right?

Maybe I'll just move to
Utopia.

15. Iraq, the War, and All Transmutations of the Subject. As an extension of item #14, this almost goes without saying. Simply put, this has been, and certainly will continue to be, beaten beyond recognition (no messianic allusions implied). Interestingly enough, this beating has been staunchly bi-partisan, coming from every conceivable direction, both for and against. Again, I'm tired of it, and quite frankly, I don't care anymore. My position? I'm all for withdrawl, or re-deployment, or even nuking the whole region - whatever the hell will make people stop talking about it. My point is, no matter what your position/involvement, there's probably a better use of all our time.


[for reference: installments 1, 2, 3, and 4]

1 Comments:

Blogger Thin Black Duke said...

Ha! This is great. I just posted remarks on my blog that talking about politics and the war has literally made me sick. I can't think about it anymore either.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home