6.14.2006

article of lunch - 6.14

Introduction to Follies of the Wise, by Frederick Crews.

I wish I had the time to comment on all that I like and dislike about this piece. I'll limit myself to this:

"Like the Archbishop of Canterbury, who allows “habits of the heart” to overrule canons of evidence, many spokesmen for entrenched interests subscribe to a two-tiered conception of truth. They make a token bow to empirically grounded knowledge, but they deem it too pedestrian for mapping the labyrinth of the soul or for doing justice to the emotional currents coursing between interacting persons."

This is almost absurd. I don't know if I would say "pedestrian," and I don't know exactly how to elaborate upon what I am about to say without falling into the category of "spokesmen for entrenched interests", but it seems to me empirically grounded knowledge is indeed not nearly wide enough in scope to "map the labyrinth of the soul".

"Ever since Darwin forged an exit from the previously airtight argument from design, the accumulation of corroborated materialist explanations has left the theologian’s “God of the gaps” with less and less to do."

All I can say to this statement is, if providing for the existence of morality and being the original giver of the "breath of life" (read: creator of the soul mentioned above) is having little to do, then I suppose God is, here, guilty as charged. However, I find it difficult to believe that humanity's accounting for the mating habits of earthworms has made a sizeable dent in the responsibilities afforded any divine being.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home