6.22.2006

poem #21

"6 Memory Lane"

I should have written this poem yesterday
but my wife is still sick
and the baby wouldn't stop.
Now I'm at work, where I can think
sit back
and take a drink of soda
(which, as everyone knows, is "pop").

Anyway, yesterday
I thought of a girl
I knew when I was younger.
We played doctor once
in her bedroom, underneath a tray table
draped with her pink sheets.
But I do not remember her,
only that tray table
only those sheets,
because that memory is not
mine to keep–
perhaps it belongs to someone else
or to some restless, dreamful sleep.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

this is my favorite so far. nice work. is there any way i could talk you into starting it like this:

yesterday,
I thought of a girl

1:47 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

has anyone else noticed that the word verifications are getting more bizarre?

the one for this comment is "ovgaviah." it sounds like a kind of cheese or the name of a girl you'd meet in a storybook. if i had to guess, she'd probably go from rags to riches or something--or perhaps become the namesake for a fancy brand of cheese.

1:53 PM  
Blogger matt said...

i had noticed that, actually. however, i will attribute the rags-to-cheese part to you, j.

as for the beginning, my answer is probably not. i will certainly keep your suggestion in mind, though, as next month i will be editing each of this month's poems in turn, at which point i will notice your comment and give it further review.

right now, though, no. no there isn't.

(this comment was verified by my correctly typing "dpbpn". a little consonant-centric, isn't it?)

1:56 PM  
Blogger matt said...

by the way, i think this is also my favorite to date.

(phboovf - perhaps an obscure alien from star wars? the sound a baby's butt makes when it lands, bare, on thick carpet?)

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home