9.13.2006

Butterfly Earrings

There was the time at the art museum. Georgia O'Keefe, I think, was on special exhibit. I was with the other blonde girl, but she was wearing a khaki skirt. I did not particularly appreciate flowers at the time, and we talked too loudly as we meandered through whitewashed mazes. She was wearing a blue tank-top and the butterfly earrings I'd gotten her the summer before.

"I don't know anything about art." She paused. "Nothing."

"Me, neither." I paused. "Well, I know a little, I suppose."

"Hm..."

"What?"

"How 'bout this: we don't know anything about any of this, so let's just talk about what we like."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, look at this painting." She walked in close to a large painting of a red flower. "I like the deeper red here in this corner. Here."

And just like that, our ignorance moved the afternoon into evening. At dinner, I remembered watching those turquois butterfly earrings, butterflying around the exhibits as she walked. She talked, and and I talked, but we did not hold hands. I never told her why I bought her those earrings, but our dessert was delicious.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous {Minion} said...

Do any of us know anything of art?

It's just somethings that you like, or don't...

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm... whitewashed maze of walls... and the beauty of finding joy in everything...
(this is Andrew by the way)

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home