1.11.2007

rain

straighten, re-straighten
the Post-its on my desk
again and again, again&again
who could still sit still?
i don't know what i would
but what i will is not my own.

i label and re-label myself
again&again, again and again
rotten with perfection, indeed.

the earth's hot breath
has frozen on its beard;
another year of life has met its death.

--
quietly, now, the sun rises
as one still drugged from
yesterday's colonoscopy,
stays hidden behind the clouds
,gives little warmth.
still i leave my home
and pray for rain or snow or asteroids.

rain and snow, i know, and even asteroids
will take me&my small i seriously,
as seriously as your compensating capital lIes.
and anyway, the rain falls on the fools
and anyway, the rain falls on the wise.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

This poem has some ballast, especially the last two stanzas, especialy especially the last stanza.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Matt, my earlier comment is pretty vague, I agree! "Rain" has an unexplainable (I can't explain it, anyway) depth to it that I like. The words are simple, but they speak to a deeper place in me than my mind would expect. This effect is something that I would like to achieve now and then in my occasional attempts at poetry. I'm happy to experience it in others' poetry, though . . . it's really the chief reason I read poetry.

"Ballast" alone was too private of a picture to have communicated anything. Your last two stanzas are weighty, and they help the poem go somewhere in me. Sorry for my having been so vague!

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home