1.26.2007

Why I love poetry...

... in 153 words or less.

I love poetry because it's the best approximation of the way I think, only prettier. Reading poetry (especially out loud) is like feeling my soul, physically, breathing.

I love poetry because it gives me the choice to capitalize or not, and it doesn't care which I choose.

I love poetry because it extends from me naturally; writing poetry feels like doing something I was created to do, in a very specific sense. There is diversity and simultaneous like-mindedness among poets that feels very much what I think community in Eden would have felt like - what community in Heaven will feel like.

I love poetry because, like all art forms, it encapsulates so many other forms.

I love poetry because it best approximates one of life’s supreme desires: the acquisition and conveyance of Truth.

I love poetry because one hundred fifty-three words could never describe what it means to me.

I love poetry.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

"I love poetry because one hundred fifty-three words could never describe what it means to me."

That was great. Now I don't feel so badly about going over!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Wonderful post. I originally took your "capitalize" as "making use of," and that spoke to me in a way I haven't figured out yet.

I guess I like poetry because of its sometimes piercing ambiguity.

2:15 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

This spoke out to me! Thanks for this very beautiful post.

gautami
saluting the poetic words.
why I love Poetry.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Dave said...

I love poetry too. And I loved this poem! It was really cool. Thanks for sharing.

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home