2.15.2007

Poetry Thursday

I, too, am rather uninformed, save the basics, when it comes to prose poetry. That said, I am skeptical. However, in the spirit of overcoming such prejudice, I dove into this week's idea, with mixed results. Enjoy. Or vomit, whichever this poem induces first.

(note that Baudelaire's "Be Drunk" is, at this point, my main informing poem for this genre--hence the stolen phrase--so check it out if you'd like to read a
good prose poem.)

Her

She wore a long white coat and a short black dress. The little black dress, you know the one. A bun of brown hair perched neatly on her head, tipped back a bit, and her cellphone warmed her right ear. She moved up and down the sidewalk, flit-flit-flit, trying to direct her ride by sight. Her cheeks seemed too tight, but maybe it was just the cold.
You've got to stay away from her type. But if sometimes in the faux-blizzard of snow blown from the roof you are caught up in her white coat, long legs, thin wrists and tight lips, short dress and warm ear--despite your words, coughed into the wind--well, you must be forgiven. You will be forgiven. Whose knees, after all, have never buckled at the sight of her; who has not felt the snow and inched an inch or several closer to her warmth and light? Not one, not I.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger twilightspider said...

I like this very much - the enigma, the longing, the details that really draw the picture.

I also like the conversational tone of it - I'm a fan of feeling like the narrator is speaking to me personally, it makes me want to listen all the more closely.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Remiman said...

Matt,
You call it a prose poem, I call it a prose poem, so for us; it's a prose poem. The form is so less than the message. This is a moving vigette and well described.

Oh, and thanks for the link to Beaudelaire. I enjoyed being drunk there more than I ever have ;-)
rel

10:00 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Thanks for this fantasy. I liked imagining myself as this femme fatale. Watch out!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

A very visual piece.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I like the too-tight cheeks, the faux-blizzard, the coughed words, and the warm ear. What "warmth and light"! Well done!

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home