5.01.2009

Spring rain

Two haiku sequences composed entirely by very nearly copying the haiku translations of Dave Bonta (original post: Harusame ya / Spring rain) and re-ordering them into loose narratives.

In which, my daughters and wife are the subjects, respectively.


I

Spring rain:
the voices of my daughters
growing side by side

*

Spring rain:
a discarded toy
blows off the patio

*

Spring rain:
baby girl at the window
chases watertrails

*

Spring rain:
going out with my daughter
to jump in puddles

*

Spring rain:
my child is teaching her sister
how to dance

*

Spring rain:
a pretty girl
cries


II

Spring rain:
my wife's flowers on the ledge
are getting soaked

*

Spring rain:
in my wife's bag,
the sound of keys

*

Spring rain:
my lover's low whisper
in a shared cab

*

Spring rain:
she opens her hands
to catch tiny drops

*

Spring rain:
not enough yet to moisten
my wife's lips

*

Spring rain:
a patter of gossip
on her pea coat

*

Spring rain:
she draws a hot bath,
invites me in

*

Spring rain:
the lusty sigh of a wife
who hasn't been sleeping

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

Brilliant remixes. I'm glad my translations were able to shake them loose.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Thanks, Dave; you are too kind! I enjoyed the process immensely. I find that every time I work with haiku I have come close to forgetting what fun the form is. (A sign, perhaps, that I should work with them more often, I suppose.)

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home